Making necessary (mostly) things on the cheap.

Making using and buying tools

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Things to Come And notes of the day

Hello, There is more to come in time. I plan some posts as soon as I can make the time to have the video or at least picture to go along with it so bear with me.

Today I watched some videos , thier was one in particular that stood out form a guy in Iowa teaching a through dovetale class. He baciacally jut eyeballed the layout and said he dident want them to look like they were made by a machine. A good point I though, akthough I have to admit that no one , unless vision impared would confuse my dovetails with something machine made. Do machines leave gaps? Nevermind, anyway I did pick up soe grat tips form this guy, I will dig up his links and add them later.
It was more the spirit of the thing his, attitude to make a thing for itself or the joy of making it rather than the need to emulate the robotic repitions of a machine.

Micro woodworking he called , you guys with yore calipers. Made me think about what I want to do and how I want to do it.

Looking at workbenches, I still have the little beast I made about two years ago its about four feet long and made out of old pallet beams and some cheap 2x4's but i have done a few projects on it . It used to sit under a trap on the patio of our one bedroom apartment .

The rage over the Rubio benches is crazy , people spending more on a bench  that I make in a month. I have a bench to build things , I dont make things to make a ridicolus bench, if i sopend that kind os money then it going to be on wood for furniture for my home for my family. But suit yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment