Making necessary (mostly) things on the cheap.

Making using and buying tools

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Almost Right the first time

So, I have all the Tennons now cut for one side of my table, I think I have made most, if not all the mistakes possible. I thought it was square, I thought I cut to the line, sort of. About halfway through I read somewhere that many people make the mortises first and fit the tenons to them, I kinda wish I had done that but live and learn , I hope anyway. I was watching Roy Underhills show on the UNC website a while back, and somewhere in this process I remembered Peter Follansbee saying to angle the cuts toward the face to keep the aprons tight on a piece, they were doing the joint stool. So what do I do in a momentary lapse of reason I" oh so slightly" angle the cut , but AWAY from the face I realized this only later when I was comparing the two pieces . So, it of course took me more time to fix the mistake than it did to make. Funny how many fewer problems we have when we do it right the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment